Monday, June 28, 2010

Wai Kru

Wai Kru is a ceremony that goes on in schools in Thailand. Ours was last Thursday. Basically it's a day where students honor their teachers. Teachers are held in extremely high respect here. In a social hierarchy, they are considered to be right under monks, so it's a pretty important job to have and a high standard to live up to!
So the elementary students and teachers gathered in the church for Wai Kru on Thursday. The teachers all sat on the stage and the students sat out in the pews. A Thai teacher gave a lesson about being a good student and having charisma, then they recited some sort of something, not really sure what they said... Then each teacher took a seat at the front of the stage and their class came up and presented them with gorgeous flowers and sort of did a little bow thing. It was a very interesting experience! There were some gorgeous flowers! Things that you would see in a wedding or a ballroom! And they smelled SO good!The ones in my classroom are still living (it doesn't get as hot in there) but the ones in my room wilted in about a day :(
Here are some pictures:













This weekend was a nice time to relax. I did some shopping and got some fun stuff to decorate my room. Pictures will come once I get my room cleaned up!
I've also found a wonderful church that is a lot like Alliance, my home church in Boone. It's a bit far away, but it's worth the drive, and it's nice to get into the city once a week for a break.

This week is only a 3 day week. We leave Thursday for a staff retreat/training time and won't be back until Saturday.

I hope everyone has a great week! Pray that I will be productive and that my students would be receptive and willing to learn!

No comments: