Thursday, June 3, 2010

Orientation

Right now most of the new teachers have arrived and we started orientation yesterday. It's been a lot of fun getting to know everyone and starting to learn more about our jobs and where we live and about Thailand in general. We've learned a lot about Thai history and culture and about the history of the school and the family that runs it (they are quite amazing!). There is such a mix of cultures at this school. The family that started it are Chinese, although they have lived in Thailand for several generations. Then we have Thai teachers, American teachers, and Canadian teachers. There are also quite a few Philippino's (sp?) as well.
I really do love it here, although the heat is going to take some getting used to. We are within walking distance from a 7 eleven and there's also a Big C (like a wal-mart) just down the road as well. To the other side there is a huge outdoor market with lots of amazing trinkets and really really good fruit! Today we ventured through the market all the way down to the river where they have river taxi's that can take you all the way into the heart of Bangkok (haven't done that yet, but soon...). I haven't really taken many pictures yet, but I will try to be better! As soon as I get some I will post them.
We got to look at curriculum today, and as nervous as I am about being in a classroom again, I'm really excited to be doing what I've been trained to do all those years in college. We still have a week and a half to prepare before school actually starts, and my roommate/co-teacher will be returning next week!
I really should plan these out before I start, but I just get on here and start typing what I can remember... Hopefully it's not too boring.
More to come later.

No comments: