Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Long Journey

Sooo, after a long and tedious travel weekend, I finally made it to Thailand. Let me tell you a little about what happened....
Things started out really well. I left from Charlotte and even though my bags were a few pounds overweight they let it slide. They also gave my family a voucher to go back to the gate with me. The flight to Detroit was fast and fairly uneventful. Once I got to Detroit I had to run from gate 18 to gate 64 (it was a LONG way!), with my incredibly heavy carry on luggage, in 10 minutes! I make it, although quite tired and out of breath, and find my seat. The flight was supposed to leave at 3:25. Around 4:00 we're still sitting at the gate and they announce that there's a problem on the plane they're trying to fix, but that it would take about 45 minutes. At 5, we're still sitting there... they say another 45 minutes or so. At 6 they say everything is set and they even show the safety video. 6:30 comes around and we're still at the gate. weird. People are starting to get pretty angry. By 7 they tell us that the crew has become illegal (because we had been sitting there for so long) and that we all had to get our carry on's and get off the plane. They said they'd have a new crew by 8:30 and gave us food vouchers for dinner... 2 problems with that...
1. There are 400+ people waiting in line to get a voucher, and then waiting in line again at the few restaurants that are close by.
2. $6 is not going to buy you dinner in an airport.
Anywho, we get our food and wait until 8:30. At 9 they tell us there's no crew coming, but they are going to put us up in a hotel and that we'd leave at 9 the next morning. Yet again, 400+ people waiting in line for hotel vouchers, then for shuttles. The process took about 2 hours. Made it to the hotel, got up at 6 to catch the shuttle, and get to the airport. Then all 400+ have to wait in line yet again to get new boarding passes. Then the new plane that they had flown in had a problem, so we had to wait for that to get fixed. Once that was fixed we found out there was a crew member missing. We ended up leaving around 1:30. Once we got to Tokyo they had to re-book all our connecting flights... another line. We also had to go back through security. I barely made it to my gate, but 7 sIhort hours later I was in Thailand! Got through immigration and found my bags and my ride, and got to the school.
All in all, it wasn't so bad. Even if the flight had left on time, I would have missed my connection in Tokyo and then I would have been stuck there! And I got some flight vouchers out of it. I arrived a day late, but no big deal, orientation doesn't start until tomorrow.
I will post pictures of the school and my room later. I am definitely going to be painting and doing some organizing/decorating, but that might have to wait for awhile.
Thanks for following!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you made it Liz!! You are a trooper! So excited for you and this next adventure! :)

brittney said...

geez, what an ordeal! glad you made it! can't wait to see pictures!