Monday, August 30, 2010

Birthday bash

After overnight camp and spending time outside at recess, I have had the opportunity to get to know quite a few of the elementary students here. I must say, we have some pretty awesome students!
After school the Thai teachers watch out for the kids and wait with them until their parents pick them up. This particular day was rainy, which means traffic slows to a halt. I was in the staff room around 6 and one of the Thai teachers brought a second grader in. Her mother was stuck in traffic and the teacher needed to go home, and asked if I would watch the girl until her mom got there. Well, this girl, Naomi, is pretty amazing, so of course I agreed. We worked on homework and just talked. Her English is exceptional! Her father is from Holland and her mother is Thai. They own a travel agency and have done very well.
Her mother arrived about 45 minutes later apologizing profusely and brought us pizza, which I never refuse! She had been in China town planning for Naomi's birthday party and the rain kept her in traffic for hours! She then invited us all to the birthday party, which happened to be this past weekend.
Never have I been to a birthday party quite like this! They sent a van to pick me and 3 other teachers up. We got to their house and Naomi greeted us in her princess Belle costume. Their house looks like something you would see on HGTV! It was amazing! There was a courtyard in the middle of the house with a swimming pool, and all of the rooms had sliding glass doors that could open up into the courtyard to make the whole house seem like you were outside! There were beautiful fountains and gardens and decorations from all over the world. If I could have inconspicuously taken pictures, I would have, but there were people everywhere! The party was catered with the most amazing food and they kept feeding us allll day! It was nice to hang out with the students and not have to be teaching. We swam for awhile and then played games. There was a clown and a massive pile of presents. The girls also had a princess fashion show, and we ended the night with ice cream cake! It was quite a day.















2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Youre becoming QUITE the photographer and I LOVE hearing your words. I KNOW its hard to get to your computer and type all this in your busy schedule but I thank you because I so enjoy how entertaining you are and how much you love your life. Love, Jasper

Anonymous said...

aww liz that looks like so much fun!! miss you!