Monday, November 2, 2009

Emmanuel

Joy. That is the word that comes to mind when I think of Emmanuel orphanage. 3 years ago when I left that place, after having been there for 9 weeks, I was so sad to think I probably would never be able to go back. And here I am, visiting again for the 3rd time! I cannot tell you how much my heart explodes with love for the kids there. Many of them are so grown up now, and it is wonderful to see them step into roles of responsibility. They joyfully serve the others there and look after and take care of one another. When I was there originally, there were about 280 kids there; now there are 92. Many have run away, been sent home, or gone to other orphanages. Every time I go back, someone else has left. My heart cries out for their safety and that the Lord would keep them in his hands and that they would remember what they learned about Jesus while they were there.
There is a group of siblings there that I have fallen in love with since the first day I was there. Arti was the baby 3 years ago when I was there. She could always be found right next to me or sleeping in my lap. Despite the language barrier, we had a very strong bond. Pooja is next. She loved to be twirled around and up on my shoulders. Now she is too big for me to pick up! Supna is the oldest sister. She is such a young lady now! I am so proud of who she has grown up to be. Money is the oldest boy. I didn't know who he was the first time I was there, so I was constantly baffled when Arti would point and say, "money, money". I wasn't quite sure what she was talking about. Now I know. I'm not sure how I missed it, they look exactly alike! Since then, 2 more siblings have come. There is a little boy named Morgan, who I know very little about, and a beautiful little girl named Vijiya. I met Vijiya last time I was here, but I didn't know her name, so I called her little monkey girl, because that's what she was! She would crawl all over me, take gum out of my mouth, and was just generally curious about everything! I only went twice last year, but as soon as I walked through the gates last week, she ran up to me and jumped into my arms! I feel so at home holding her.
There were also 2 brothers that I was close to, Michael and Ayub. They spoke very little English, but I adored them and loved being around them. Michael loved to draw and Ayub loved to sing. He would walk around in his own little world singing songs and making crosses out of anything he could find. They are still there and SO grown up! Their English is so good and it is awesome to be able to talk with them now!
Of the 280 or so that were there that summer, most of them are gone. There are 92 children there now, but most of them are new. My heart continues to miss the ones that are gone and pray desperately for their safety and well-being, but it also brings so much joy to my heart to see the ones that are still there and be able to tell them that I still love them and think about them and that Jesus loves them too!
(This trip back was actually 2 weeks ago... I'm a bit behind in posting but our internet has been down for awhile. We get to go back this Friday!!)














Me, Pooja, Arti, and Supna













Me, Michael, and Ayub














Me and Jessica, a member of my 2006 team and now the leader of this one, and some of the girls that are still there



P.S. Happy Birthday mom!!

No comments: