Thursday, August 25, 2011

Rough Start



It's been a rough start this year. I have a lot of challenges that I knew would make it difficult, but I don't think I realized how difficult it would be and how it would affect me so much. I find that I work ALL the time and have very little time for anything else, and if I do have time for anything else, all I want to do is sleep.
Part of this is the stress and uniqueness of my job, but I've realized that part of it is also me. I've never had a job that wasn't my life. At Disney, I lived there, ate there, worked there,and everything else I did was centered around that job. Sometimes I put in 16 hour days. Here I feel like I work from 7:30-11 some days and still don't get everything done.
Yes there is a lot to do, but there's got to be a balance. I'm trying to find it. That's the me part. Part of it is my job, I knew it was going to be hard and I was up for the challenge, but the other part is me... I guess I just don't know when to quit or how to be okay with doing less. Some things HAVE to get done... I have to know what I'm teaching and have the materials ready. But trying to always be on top of things and grade every scrap they turn in and make everything SUPER exciting has really just exhausted me, which in turn doesn't really help the school day.
I'm trying to get things worked out, and at least I'm at a point where I know something has to change or I'm going to burn out fast.
Another big factor that has played into making this a rough start is the fact that my remaining grandparents... my dad's mom and my mom's dad, both passed away within a month from each other. I knew it was probably going to happen while I was gone, but it was really hard to deal with and be so far away. I wish I could have gone home for just a little while.
So that's been this year so far. Lots of loss and busyness... lots of students and figuring out how to teach them and make things understandable. But I love my class and things are getting better. Sorry I haven't posted in awhile. I feel like nothing is that exciting and i don't really have that much to tell you, so these posts are probably going to be few and far between.
Here is a link to my sister's blog... she wrote a really cool blog entry about my grandma.

Luckily I got to spend some time with them both before I came back. Here are some recent and some not so recent pictures:








2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Liz! I miss you so much! I know you are working SO hard! I hope you are getting to have at least a little bit of fun!! love you, -C.S. :)

Jasper said...

so cute!!!!!!!! It's time for a new post, please! Love, Jasper Naomi