Friday, June 20, 2008

Last days in Kohn Kaen

Here's another update for those of you that actually read this :P

We finished up painting yesterday! It was a wonderful feeling of accomplishment to be done. We practically painted the inside of two whole houses. As menial as the work seemed it really was a joy to be able to help these missionaries out and be a blessing to them in that way. I have really been praying that whatever work I do I do it for the Lord.

Tonight a woman who works at the college is going to teach us how to cook an authentic Thai meal!! I am really excited about that. I have loved (most) of the food here. Some of it is spicy but a lot of it is just soooo good! Everyone is amazed because they see me and assume that because I am little that I won't eat much. In one village all of the older women were laughing and when I asked my friend what they were saying she said that they had never seen anyone eat so much. I am glad that I can make them so happy :) They love it when people like their food.

Tomorrow we are planning on teaching English and then Sunday we are going to an HIV orphanage. I am very excited about that! I will do whatever they ask of me while I am here, but my passion lies with children so when we get the chance to work with them I am elated.

On another note, I have been reading a book by Charles Spurgeon called "How to Have Real Joy" and I just can't get enough of it! He is a very articulated author and just really makes things make sense. Being a Christian and knowing that Jesus died for us and that God loves us should produce enough pure joy in us to last a life time! If nothing else, that should make us wake up each day with a joyful song in our hearts. But how often we forget that! Pure joy comes from the Lord and is not dependent on our circumstances. It is there in the good times and the bad.
There is a prayer in this book that I especially like so I thought I would put it on here. May it be your prayer as well as mine.
" Lord, help me to glorify you. I am poor; help me to glorify you by contentment. I am sick; help me to give you honor by my patience. I have talents; help me to extol you by using them for you. I have time, Lord; help me to redeem it, so that I may serve you. I have a heart to feel Lord; let that heart feel no love but Yours and glow with no flame but affection for You. I have a head to think Lord; help me to think of You. You have put me in this world for something, Lord; show me what it is and help me to work out my life's purpose, for I desire to say amen. I cannot do much; my amen is only a weak one. Yet, as the widow put in her two mites, which was all she had to live on Lord, I put my time and eternity into Your treasury. It is all Yours. Take it, and thus I say amen."

No comments: